Friday, July 13, 2012

July 13, 2012 - Dark-Thirty Hospitalized Ramblings

 

Heard the expression “dark-thirty”?  It’s really early in the morning before the sun comes up.  That’s what time it is now.

I think I have done pretty darn well and still am, considering I came to the ER with a ruptured appendix.  Yesterday I took 3 or 4 laps of the halls on this floor with Dave in the morning, had a shower in the afternoon and then a few more laps with Dave in the evening followed by sitting in a chair for a bit while he was here.

Thing is, I still have pain.  Well, duh, it’s only been – what – not even 36 hours since an emergent appendectomy.  My abdomen has been cut open and put back together with staples.  The pain is nowhere near what it was when I came to the ER; nevertheless, it’s still there, niggling away uncomfortably.

Perhaps I’m expecting too much.  Perhaps I’m too independent for my own good.  Perhaps I haven’t had solid food since Tuesday night and I’m just plain hungry.

Have morphine and Percocet on order.  Didn’t take the first Percocet until yesterday afternoon and had not had morphine since the ER.

Been catnapping and finally a bit ago said screw it, let’s try the morphine.  

Talked to my dear friend Rachelle yesterday and she told me that I should use the drugs while I’m in  hospital – that’s what they’re for.  If I’m hurting I can’t heal effectively and while in hospital I should focus on just that.

I know that.  Always helps to hear it from a friend, though.  And the lovely aide Debbie who just came in to check on me gave me the same affirmation.  “Don’t feel guilty.”

Okay, fine.  Slip that morphine into my IV line, please.

Thank goodness for Turner Classic Movies.  There’s some ancient black-and-white film on right now.  I’m gonna post this, turn out the light, watch the movie, perhaps nap and watch the the Sun come up out my window.

I think I feel a bit better already. 

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's your turn. Say something!